Massachusetts-based health insurer Health New England (HNE) wanted to build membership in the midst of stiff competition, including four of the top 15 health plans in the country. They were also challenged by being the smallest among their competitors and not having a national network. Nevertheless, they had a very loyal following in Western Massachusetts. They asked us to help them figure out why and find the best approach for growing the brand. Our research data said employers and patients had strong relationships with Health New England and that it was viewed as an integral part of the local community. That led us to focus them around delivering a personal and accountable customer experience. HNE gave employees a guide for building this experience internally and with customers by having employees ask three questions:
- Am I acting like someone I would trust?
- Am I talking like a real person?
- Am I preventing problems rather than just solving them?
At the same time, Health New England’s top executives have redefined successful leadership as “helping employees to be personal and accountable” and the CEO considers brand to be one of the three tools to manage the organization along with profitability and growth.
- HNE earns multi-year “Excellent” accreditation rating from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).
- Ranked 11th among 478 private health plans nationwide based on clinical performance, member satisfaction and NCQA Accreditation.
- Recipient of the Massachusetts Chamber of Commerce Employer of Choice Award for developing a culture for transforming and rewarding employee performance.
Health New England’s Bragging Rights: Solidly profitable with greater than 90% customer retention since the brand work. Check out the details below.